Just a quick blurb about what's happening now for me. My training time has now arrived to learn how to make/mix TPNs (total parenteral nutrition) bags, CIVA, and Chemo preps. My orientation was last Friday and yesterday was my first time actually doing some hands on with preparations but not actually mixing. Today near the end of the day I tried to mix my first TPN. When I watched my trainer mix it a bunch of times now (yest & today), sure looked easy....like it was second nature. BUT....when I attempted my brain basically went blank as to what to do first (after putting the meds/supplies in the hood).
This is similar to what is in our pharmacy. We have 2 laminar flow hoods and one BSC (biological safety cabinets) for chemotherapy. There is glass in the front of the BSC but not down the entire front....enough room for your arms and some movement.
Anyhoo.....my experience mixing today was horrible! I felt awkward with the particular movements required. While working in the hood and depending on the direction of air flow coming from the back of the hood dictates your arm/hand movements. I can't move my hands in front of items or around them, they must go over them. While watching my trainer, it looked easy but when I attempted I had to think twice, or I should say 3-4x, about how to move. I know it's my first time actually doing this but it was still horrible. While in the mixing room we have to be completely gowned up.....yellow gown (very unbreathable), mask, bonnet, gloves, booties over shoes. Well since the air flow is different in this room and it can get quite warm in there you can't really tell if you're perspiring in places other than your face. I was getting a bit frustrated and stressed so my trainer relieved me and took over (that's a good thing). After getting ungowned and out of the mixing room, my shirt was drenched and it didn't feel like it was.....very gross! Can't wait until summer time when it's 10x worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment