Right off the bat I'm gonna say that I'm not an eloquent writer so I probably won't capture the severity of this catastrophe in Japan that happened 2 days ago so in lieu I'm posting a couple links that express what cannot be said. My main reason for writing this entry today is for future readers, years to come, they may also come to know about this event.
Below is a link to a blog written by a Canadian who, luckily, didn't live near the worst parts of Japan but he still felt the earthquake. He describes the experience:
http://www.gaijin-gunpla.com/tohoku-kanto-major-earthquake/
The BBC has extensive coverage of the situation in Japan. There are numerous videos posted by newsmen and amateurs. Apparently there are always people walking around with video cameras of some sort and it's evident by watching the videos that a news crew wouldn't be able to get to.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
The Japan crisis has been quoted as "the worst since WWII". Now that's bad. We've all seen the pictures in textbooks and on the net of the devastation in Japan during and after WWII.
Here are some before and after pictures taken by satellite which are very good illustrations of the aftermath of the tsunami.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12726589
But did you hear the one good news story yet? A 60 year old man who had returned back to his house after the earthquake to retrieve some items was swept away by the tsunami but he was able to get atop the roof of his house, which had swept 15 km (9 miles) out to sea. He was noticed and rescued. Mild weather and relatively calm seas had helped him stay adrift for 48 hours...his wife is still missing.
I hope these links remain active for a long time.

Life is so fragile. Many 'good-bye's were never said. Life is truly a gift.
ReplyDelete