Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cake Beauty & A History Lesson

http://www.cakebeauty.com/home.asp
For my niece's 3rd birthday (Mar 17) I found her some Strawberry Shortcake decadent bath and shower suds.  She's into Strawberry Shortcake right now, so why not?  It is awesome smelling....exactly like the dessert.  
Remember when you were a young girl and played with Strawberry Shortcake, Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, Huckleberry Pie, etc....
I just did a google/wikipedia search on the names of the characters and I didn't know how many there really were until now.  There are A LOT of characters that were developed in the early 1980's.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strawberry_Shortcake_characters#) This link has the history and character description of every Strawberry Shortcake character.

Strawberry Shortcake                Huckleberry Pie                   Plum Puddin'

Blueberry Muffin                         Apple Dumplin'                     Orange Blossom
Raspberry Tart                           Lemon Meringue                  T.N. Honey     
Apricot                                        Butter Cookie                       Lime Chiffon
Cherry Cuddler                          Angel Cake                          Almond Tea
Café Olé                                    Crepe Suzette                      Mint Tulip
Lem and Ada                             Peach Blush                         Baby Needs-A-Name
Banana Twirl                             Mr. Sun                                  Lucky Bug
Escargot                                    Flitter-Bit                                Tamale
Horseradish                               Coco Nutwork                       Berry Busy Bug
Philbert Wormly III                     Maple Stirrup                        Raisin Cane
The Peculiar Purple Pieman      Sour Grapes                        
The Berry Princess and The Berrykins

There were also animals and fillies (horses) that came out later on.

I don't think I ever had a character taller than 1 inch....I'm sure I had the plastic miniatures that smelled just as yummy as the dolls with the brushable hair.

In late 2008, American Greetings relaunched the series with redesigned characters and changed personalities.  Now why would the personalities be changed?  I haven't looked into what the change was that was made but are these characters more 'politically correct'?  What would that look like anyways?  Just a speculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment