It's Christmas, Christmas eve today and I'm at work, while others are travelling to their Christmas festivity destinations and others are taking the week off to prepare for the big day.
On the other hand, there are those "essential services" that don't shut down or close their doors because of a holiday, yes not even for Christmas which for many is the biggest holiday of the year. I work in a hospital and know many of my co-workers that will be working on Dec. 25th. It is a shame for many, missing Christmas morn because of the work schedule. And then there are some that won't be seeing any family because of distance or lack of, so working doesn't seem that bad, plus the money to be made on this holiday increases about 2.5 times/hr. There are pros and cons to working this day.
For myself, I'd hate to be working in an industry that's considered "essential" and doesn't stop for this one special day. On every Christmas day, my whole immediate family has been together. The past 10 years or so, my grandparents and uncles/aunts/cousins haven't been together because of distance but a Christmas card is always exchanged. I couldn't imagine not having everyone together, if not for the whole day but for a couple hours. (My sisters have to share their day with in-laws.)
I've talked to one co-worker who celebrated Christmas on Dec 22nd because it worked well for having the whole family together and nobody had to work either. She is scheduled to work on the 25th otherwise. Because I've never had to do that, I think opening all the gifts so early would feel weird/odd....but if that's what it takes, then that's what ya gotta do.
Anyways, I hope you all have a great Merry Christmas and are surprised with the gifts you are given and happy with the reactions you get from the giving. Don't eat tooooo much so you feel uncomfortable....there's no fun in that!
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment