My Grandma has now been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the kidneys, stomach, liver, and pancreas. Wow!! She, thankfully, isn't in any pain and is feeling fine. She's still mobile and has started reading again, which means she's able to concentrate. She says she's ready to go but the fact there's a short timeline hasn't sunk in yet. Perhaps that's a good thing....she's ready to go and could go anytime....why think about what day it could be.
My mom will fly down this coming Monday as Grandma is being discharged then to go home. The Palliative program will install a hospital bed into her room too. I've never heard of that happening but it's a good thing.
I really haven't talked to her on the phone cause the phone in her room is for outgoing calls only and not long distance ones. I'll wait until she's home and comfortable as I'm sure she'll be getting numerous calls from friends.
I'm had 2 grandmas die in my lifetime, #1 when I was 1, #2 in 2003/04 (step gramma) and now this is #3. This one will be the a hardest as we're quite close. I do admit to some of the conversations we've had as annoying but as people become elderly, the conversations change. She means well of course. :)
I don't know when I'm driving down south though. I'm supposed to move into a new place next Friday so I can't leave until after that day. My boss is great about this too....I can leave when I think I need to for as long as needed (I'll be responsible about that of course...can't have my sick days run out on me.
So we'll see...
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma... I wonder what it must be like to know (for certain) that your time is limited here on earth. Make sure you get in those special phone calls now because it hurts later:-(
ReplyDelete