Wednesday, July 21, 2010

River Rafting BA-BY!!

Sunday July 18th at 6:00am, my friends Melissa and Nathan and I get in the car and drive to Lytton for our combo rafting trip.  It took us 2.5 hrs to get there so we were about 45 min early.  When the time came to sign-in, we gathered along with about 18 others to sign a waiver, receive instructions and get our gear.  We loaded into an old blue school bus and off we went; 30 min north of the base, up the Thompson river.  In the boats we went, about 10-11 per boat and off we motored.  Our guide was named "Wave Dave".  He was awesome and very entertaining.   

While in the boat we had to hold onto a rope that was along the inside of the tube we sat on. We had to hold onto it at all times, with at least one hand, and between our legs. That prevented our legs from being tossed backwards and into the river.  There was a bit of a history lesson included regarding the gold rush, the river gorge, the camel/sheep, rock formations and significant river levels.  The water looked to be very clean although would be filtered for best results and it was very refreshing.  The last rapid was called "eighteenth hole" and I was lucky to be at the front of the boat.  It was awesome! The wave was huge and super wet!!  I couldn't stop laughing during it all.
After the 2 hr ride, we went back to the base, had lunch and joined up with about 40 other people to do a paddle rafting ride.  So into the bus we went, drove up north and loaded into boats.  The power ride had 2 boats and the paddle ride had 7 boats.

The paddle ride was quite a bit different.  I think most people think it's a wilder, wetter ride but, really, it isn't.  The paddle boats can't go in the same rapids as the power boat because there is a lack of power.  The rafting guide told us about the paddle calls she would be yelling to us; so we practiced those before attempting the rapids.  Once again, I felt safe on the paddle boat.  Sure it looks like you're going to fall in but I didn't feel that way.  On one occassion, my side of the boat was lifted up and the girl behind me and I were tossed INTO the boat.  We had to stay in the boat until we were on calmer waters.   
After the ride, we went back to the base, got dried off and changed and the 3 of us split the purchase of a CD with trip pictures on it.  Hense the pics on this blog entry.
In summary, I felt the power ride was a lot more rougher, wetter and faster!  I loved it.  The paddle ride was slower and not so wet because that boat can't go through the same rapids as the power boat.

Another bucket item crossed off....

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I wondered where you got the photo from.

    What class were the rapids (0= low, 6= deathly)? I did rafting in Tennesse back in '00 and it seemed like a different experience from yours since we had to paddle and there were no engines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did 2 trips...one was power (no paddle) and the other was paddle (no power). The river wasn't at it's peak...the rapids were 2 - 3.5 classes.

    ReplyDelete